Learn More About Middleton, MA
Middleton was first settled in 1659 and was officially incorporated in 1728. Prior to 1728 it was considered a part of Salem, and contains territory previously within the limits of Andover, Boxford, and Topsfield. The name Middleton is derived from its location mid-way between the important early settlements of Salem and Andover. Middleton lies in the low hills of northeastern Massachusetts. The Ipswich River flows through town, flowing from the North Reading/Lynnfield line along the Peabody and Danvers borders before turning northward into town, exiting along the border between Boxford and Topsfield.
Middleton is one of the fastest growing towns in the Commonwealth, and the fastest on the North Shore. Middleton lies just west of Interstate 95, with two very short parts of the highway passing through corners of the town before and after passing through Topsfield. There are exits off the highway in Boxford and in Danvers which both provide access to the town. Route 114, which follows the path of the old “Salem Turnpike,” passes through the center of town, and is crossed there by Route 62, which merges with Route 114 for a 0.2 mile stretch there. There is no rail service within town; there are two lines (the Haverhill/Reading Line and the Newburyport/Rockport Line) of the MBTA Commuter Rail to the west and south of town, both of which provide access to Boston’s North Station. The nearest small air service is located at Beverly Municipal Airport, with the nearest national and international air service being located at Logan International Airport.Priority Development Sites
Cultural Institutions & Attractions:
Richardson’s Dairy Farm
1680 Thomas Fuller House, Tramp House, 1839
Municipal Golf Course:
Middleton Golf Course, Ferncroft Country Club